Recognizing excellence in the profession of Camp Nursing, ACN has four award opportunities:
Jeanne Otto Award
In 1993, the Association of Camp Nurses announced the Jeanne Otto Award.
The Award, created in honor of ACN’s founder, was established as a way to formally recognize a camp nurse for outstanding professional contribution to the practice of camp nursing. It is meant to recognize only exceptional effort; consequently, the Award is not, necessarily, given each year. Any ACN member may nominate another member for the Jeanne Otto Award.
The individual nominating submits a letter to the Board for consideration. The letter should highlight the outstanding contributions to camp nursing and provide examples of meritorious accomplishments in the field. The Board decides if the nominee merits the Award. If so, the recipient is informed and the award is conferred at the Association’s next National Symposium.
Please submit nomination letters to email@example.com by December 1 of each year.
RECIPIENTS OF THE JEANNE OTTO AWARD
- 1993: Jeanne Otto, RN, MS
- 1997: Dr. Kris Lishner, RN
- 1999: Linda Ebner Erceg, RN, MS
- 2004: Myra Pravda, RN, MS
- 2009: Susan S. Baird, RN, MPH, MA
- 2013: Doris Nerderman, RN, BSN
- 2018: Mary Marugg, RN
A hallmark of a profession is that it recognizes excellence among its practitioners. Toward that end, ACN’s Board approved creation of the Camp Nurse of the Year Award. This award is designed to recognize a nurse who, by virtue of his/her camp nurse work, made a significant impact to that camp’s health and wellness profile. While the Association’s Jeanne Otto Award recognizes contribution to the profession of camp nursing, the Camp Nurse of the Year Award recognizes a camp nurse’s significant contribution to the health status of his/her own camp.
The nomination is made by any individual familiar with the camp nurse’s practice, performance and nursing activities. Nurses may also self-nominate. Both ACN and non-ACN nurses may be nominated. The award will be publicized in CompassPoint and in various other camping publications.
- The nominator completes the nomination form that provides evidence of how the camp nurse’s work has impacted the health and wellness profile of the camp
- The nominated individual must be a licensed nurse
- It is not sufficient for a nominee to merely work as a camp nurse; this award recognizes the camp nurse who goes above and beyond the job description and camp’s expectations in a way that improves the overall health and wellness of the camp; the camp is healthier because of the actions and vision of the nominated nurse. A copy of the camp nurse’s job description must be included with the nomination form.
- Information about the award is placed on the ACN website and in CompassPoint
- Email blast to members and dissemination through the ACN Facebook and Twitter feeds
- Potential dissemination venues:
- July/August and September/October ACA Camping magazine and Canadian Valley publication
- ACN distributes award announcement to camp professionals through various publications and opens the nomination process
- November 15
- Nominations due to ACN office
- November 16 – December 31
- ACN’s Award Committee (ACN Board and/or leadership) will make determination of Camp Nurse of the Year
- February (Annual Meeting & Symposium)
- Award is conferred at ACN’s Awards Ceremony at annual Symposium and announcement is placed in CompassPoint
Camp Nurse of the Year Nomination Form
CompassPoint Writing Award
In honor of our previous editor, the Susan Baird CompassPoint (CP) Writing Award is given away each year to an individual who has demonstrated excellence in writing and publication about camp health. The award winner is selected by the editorial board using the criteria of content, creativity, writing style, and application to camp health services.
Potential award winners do not have to be ACN members but will have published in CP within the last year. The award is given at the National ACN Symposium to celebrate the accomplishments of a dedicated individual.
CompassPoint Writing Award Recipients
(The year listed is the year the award was given. The article appeared in CompassPoint the previous year)
2016: Ashley Marass, DNP, CPNP
2017: Linda Ebner Erceg, RN, MS, PHN
2018: Dr. Vicki Moran and Dr. Abby Hollander
Each year the Association of Camp Nursing (ACN) seeks to acknowledge the newest research efforts in camp health. The research committee requests nominations and selects an Research Award winner to highlight the exemplary work performed by individuals or groups. Please see the attached information to learn more about nominations for the award and the process for submission.