Resources for Camp Healthcare
Links below will support your discovery and learning
- American Camp Association
- Center for Disease Control
- Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America
- The Consortium on Children’s Asthma Camps
- Diabetes Education and Camping Association
- Children’s Oncology Camp Association, Int.
- Canadian Camping Association – Health and Wellness
- Concussions at Camp – Resources from the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia, Research Institute
- Food Allergy and Anaphylaxis Connection Team
These guidelines provide direction and support for five of the most common activities performed by health care staff at camps.
- Delegation Practice Guideline PDF
- Documentation Practice Guideline PDF
- Health Screening Practice Guideline PDF
- Medication Management Practice Guideline PDF
- Communicable Disease Practice Guideline PDF
- Communicable Disease Strategies for Camp PDF
New to Camp Nursing?
- Want to Be a Camp Nurse? Basics to Consider. (Erceg, L.) PDF
- Camp Nursing FAQs (Erceg, L.) PDF
- A First Year Experience with Camp Nursing (Mark, J. CompassPoint 2008) PDF
Links to Articles
- Want to be a camp nurse? Ten basics to get you out there! (Nursing 2017)
- Creating Healthy Camp Experiences (AAP News and Journals Gateway)
- Hiring and Retaining a Happy Camp Nurse (Nerderman, D. 2012. CompassPoint)
- Is It Time to Explore Day Camp Nursing (Hill, B., Webster, E., & Austin, E. 2012. CompassPoint)
- Orienting Your Camp Nurse (Erceg, L., March 2018 Camping Magazine)
- Parents and Camp Health Services – Creating a Sane Partnership (Erceg, L., July 2014 Camping Magazine)
And a whole area with MESH resources:
Many resources were generated from the Healthy Camps Research Study (2006-2010.) Visit these resources to include a Policy Statement-Creating Healthy Camp Experiences, Promising Practices and Policy Implications, as well as others.
More resources form the Healthy Camp Study
And more resources! Find an example of Standing Orders, the Scope and Standards of Camp Nursing Practice, Basics of Camp Nursing book and more in the ACN Store. Also check out recent News and Updates for current issues impacting camp health
Current issues impacting camp health
More resources in the ACN camp nurse store!